The Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music provides a comprehensive study in music, as well as 19-20 semester hour electives that can be taken in a different discipline(s). This program is appropriate for undergraduates who wish to major in music as a part of a liberal arts program. Depending on the choice of electives, it also affords opportunity for graduate and/or vocational opportunities in fields integrating with, or independent of, music.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Bachelor of Arts in Music graduates should be able to do the following:
1. Identify, notate and perform rhythmic, melodic, and harmonic materials via aural and visual activities.
2. Demonstrate skills necessary for work as a general musician.
3. Analyze music of diverse styles and genres.
4. Recognize Western musical style periods, genres, and forms of major choral and instrumental masterworks, aurally and visually.
5. Recognize basic generic non-Western musical styles, elements, and performance media, aurally and visually.
6. Teach others in private studios, or private/public schools and churches, about music as an art form, a means of communication, and as part of their cultural and Christian heritage.
7. Evaluate musical ideas and assess methods of instruction using diverse learning systems, styles, and repertoires.
8. Lead music in Christian worship.
BACHELOR OF ARTS
LIBERAL ARTS CORE
EN 101, 102 (Freshman Composition) 6 hrs.
CM 130 (Intro to Communication) 3 hrs.
Literature 3 hrs.
Foreign Language 3 hrs.
Social and Behavioral Science
History 3 hrs.
Psychology/Sociology/Economics/Political Science 3 hrs.
Natural Sciences/Mathematical Reasoning
Science (Lab Course) 4 hrs.
Mathematics 3 hrs.
BI 111 (Biblical Literature & History) 3 hrs.
BI 112 (Interpreting Biblical Literature) 3 hrs.
BI 300 (Gospel of John) 3 hrs.
TH 237 (Christian Ethics) 3 hrs.
PE 105 (Total Fitness) 1 hr.
FS 101 (Freshman Seminar) 2 hrs.
SS 400 (Senior Seminar) 1 hr.
Total 44 hrs.
MAJOR LOWER AND UPPER LEVEL COURSES
Foreign Language 3 hrs.
HU 200 (Art and Music Appreciation) 3 hrs.
Music Core Classes
MU 140, 141 (Music Theory I & II) 6 hrs.
MU 142, 143 (Aural Skills I & II) 2 hrs.
MU 220, 230 (Music History I & II) 6 hrs.
MU 236 (Worship Ministry) 3 hrs.
MU 236P (Worship Ministry Practicum) NC
MU 240, 241 (Music Theory III & IV) 6 hrs.
MU 242, 243 (Aural Skills III & IV) 2 hrs.
MU 300 (World Music) 2 hrs.
MU 400 (Conducting) 3 hrs.
Pedagogy or Literature (vocal, piano, or instrumental) 2-3 hrs.
Major Instrument 8 hrs.
Minor Instrument 4 hrs.
MU 099 (Music Seminar) NC
Large Ensemble (Chorale/Instrumental)* 8 hrs.
MU 495 (Senior Recital/Project) 1 hr.
Electives 19-20 hrs.
(Can be music or non-music electives, or a minor.)
Total 123 hrs.
*Additional Music Requirements: MU099 (Seminar) must be taken concurrently with every applied music course. Music seminar and recital attendance
are required of all music majors.
**Students may take one semester of Musical Theater (MU201) to count toward the 8 hours of required Ensemble credit.