- Completion of at least 30 hours of coursework, including EN 101, EN 102, CM 130, Math (see specific program requirements), ED 101, and ED 200 (must have a “C-” or better in each of these courses)
- Application for admission
- 2.75 GPA
- Passing score on GACE Program Admission Assessment or exempt it with SAT score of 1000 (math and critical reading section combined) or 43 ACT (English and Math score combined) – You must submit official SAT/ACT scores
- Portfolio (items required are listed in the CRIS system under Forms/Documents/School of Education/Portfolios/Entrance Portfolio
- Three reference forms: one from an Emmanuel College faculty member, one from an Emmanuel College School of Education faculty member, and a character reference
- Take the Georgia Program Entry Educator Ethics Assessment
- Submit your Entrance Portfolio to the dean of the SOE
- The dean will schedule a date for your interview
- Obtain a pre-service certificate from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission
Admission to SOE Certification Programs and Pre-Service Certification Process
- Fill out the application for admission to the SOE.
- Complete the Entrance Portfolio in LiveText with the required documentation.
- Contact the dean of the SOE for an interview date and time.
- Complete documentation for a pre-service certificate.
- SOE submits documents for the pre-service certificate.
- The GaPSC verifies all documents; any missing documents cause the case to be placed on hold.
- Georgia Crime Information Center criminal record check is conducted.
- If candidate responded “NO” to all Personal Affirmation questions on application and the criminal record check does not contradict those answers, the Pre-Service Certificate is issued through the candidate’s MyPSC account.
- If candidate responded “YES” to any personal Affirmation questions, or the answers are not consistent with the report generated the GaPSC, an ethics investigation is conducted. The Commission reviews the results and issues one of the following decisions:
- Candidate is cleared and a Pre-Service Certificate is issued.
- Candidate is given a warning and Pre-Service Certificate is issued.
- Candidate is given a reprimand and the Pre-Service Certificate is issued.
- Candidate is denied the Pre-Service Certificate.
- Candidate is admitted or denied admission to the SOE certification program.
If a candidate is denied a Pre-Service Certificate by GaPSC, the candidate will not be admitted to a SOE certifcation program.
The following requirements must be met to graduate from an Emmanuel College School of Education certification program:
- completion of all basic requirements for graduation from Emmanuel College
- completion of all course requirements in the chosen School of Education program with a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher
- a passing score on the GACE Program Admission Assessment or proof of exemption on file in the School of Education Office
- completion of the required GACE content tests designated by each individual program
- completion of edTPA
- completion of the Georgia Educator Ethics Program Exit Assessment
CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
The following requirements must be met to be recommended for a Certificate of Eligibility in the State of Georgia:
- completion of all graduation requirements
- completion of certification application
- passing score on GACE Assessments required for program
- passing score on edTPA
- passing score on the Georgia Educator Ethics Program Exit Assessment
RECENCY REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATION
According to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC), “program completers must be recommended for certification within five years of completing an approved program. Completers seeking a recommendation for certification more than five years after completing a program will be required to meet requirements specified by the program provider to assure up-to-date knowledge in the field of certification sought.”
The Emmanuel College School of Education will examine each individual requesting certification and determine the best course of study to meet this requirement. The course of study could include, but not be limited to, specific courses, practicums, and internships.